Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Meeting Hartford

A couple of weeks ago, I happened upon an announcement for Envisionfest Hartford. During this annual event, many museums and buildings downtown open their doors to the public. Even though Kyle had to work and couldn't come with me, I decided to take advantage of the festival in order to finally meet my new city Hartford.


I started with the Butler-McCook House and Garden and learned about the three generations of family that lived in this home before donating it to the city.


I made my way after to the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art which is apparently the longest running art museum in the country. I took a tour, not as good as the Yale one, but still thoroughly enjoyed the artwork.


I later visited the Phoenix Boat Building (the first two-sided building in the United States) and got a nice view of the Connecticut River and the city.


My next stop was the Connecticut Old Statehouse. (I'm glad I got to go in for free because I don't think it would have been worth the fee.)


Finally, I strolled through the food venue where I saw a man giving away free ice cream in exchange for sharing a personal life dream. Cool idea!


I had a great time discovering the city by myself, but I will admit, the day would have been just that much better with Kyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment